CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Newsies

I LOVE this musical!! x D It was made in 1992 and it stars Christian Bale and David Moscow. I recently got to watch it in a class of mine, and my friends and I were overjoyed (but for most of them I think they were just excited about seeing a movie with Christian Bale in it, which is perfectly understandable) and singing along to all the songs. I'm very sad to report that Blockbuster doesn't carry this movie : ( even though they totally should. It's amazing.

Newsies is set in New York during the year 1899 (which is kind of cool, because the book Rumors that I'm reading is set in 1899 too) and is centered around the young boys who sell newspapers that call themselves newsies. When the newspaper publishers raise the distribution price of their newspapers, the poor newsies go on a strike (which is led by Jack Kelly, Christian Bale's character). Jack and his friend David's journey together as newsies is fascinating and very touching, and the songs sung during this musical are great. I'll be singing at least one Newsies song at my next chorus concert, which is awesome but also means that I'll have the songs stuck in my head for months *Shrug* Oh well, it's a price that I'm willing to pay.

Here is one of the songs sung in Newsies, the guy who starts the song is David (played by David Moscow) and the guy who says, "Anybody hear that? So what are we gonna do about it?!" is Jack (played by Christian Bale). It's called Seize the Day:



That's my favorite Newsies song, but there are plenty of other good ones!

~If you like musicals, watch Newsies!

4 comments:

Alanna said...

Btw, I'm in love with Christian Bale now(don't you dare tell Aysha). I saw the Dark Knight. I hated the movie, but he looked incredible. Especially in the scene where he was on the boat and shirtless....yum.

Danielle said...

lol, it's hard not to love Christian Bale : )

HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY HATE THE MOVIE?!

Alanna said...

Sorry, it just wasn't my thing. The acting was amazing, though.

Danielle said...

Well if you like Christian Bale you should watch Newsies. He does a LOT of dancing in it