CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Fray, The Matrix, and My Phase

I didn't take these pictures, by the way. I just wanted to give you some idea of what seeing The Fray is like.


Firstly, I want to say that I am VERY sorry that it's been so long since I last made a post : ( It's not that things have been uneventful, I've just been a slacker : P Forgive me? I hope so, because I love readers!

So a few weeks ago I went to see The Fray live with one my besties, Alanna. You probably read her blog if you read this one, so I'm sorry for a repeat of the experience, but I have to talk about it!!
x D It was amazing. Words can't even describe how glad I am that I went. It was like I'd never REALLY heard them before, they were so awesome live. The lights and effects and stuff was pretty sick, too. Overall it made for a really epic night. Only problem: It was on a Tuesday night (FML, much?) so I was exhausted because I stayed up later than I'm going to admit the night before studying for a Physics test and Alanna was feeling a little out of it, too. The Fray totally made up for it, though. Neither of us felt bad at all during the concert, it was a very interesting feeling. It almost felt like it wasn't even happening to us, like it was too good to be true or something. But it was real : ) and to say that we had a blast is a giant understatement. If you are a fan of The Fray and they're coming to your town for a concert I highly recommend that you go see them, you will not be disappointed.


I know that it must be hard to believe that I'd never seen The Matrix before last month, but it's true. I'm not really sure why, I think it's mostly because nobody ever sat me down and made me watch it. Here's my general opinion: I personally loved the movie because I love science fiction. I'm not really sure if every viewer out there would enjoy The Matrix because it's not exactly a one-size-fits all movie. I think it's targeted toward a specific audience but I could totally be wrong. It was also great if you like an intense, action packed movie that also makes you think. Anyway, here's the basic plot:

The main character is a man named Thomas Anderson, but for most of the movie he is known by his hacker name, Neo. Neo has been searching for answers about the mysterious "Matrix" for a long time, and finally he is taken by a group of secretive people who give him the opportunity to find out the truth. He takes it, and his life will never be the same.

I don't want to give away too much about the movie because it will ruin the experience if someone hasn't seen it before, so I will finish my brief summary with three quotes:

(Morpheus is the leader of the group of rebels who take Neo)

1) Morpheus: Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

2) Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
Neo: You could say that.
Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Neo: The Matrix.
Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?
Neo: Yes.
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

3) Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Believe me, those quotes don't even scratch the surface of The Matrix : ) If they intrigue you and you like intense sci-fi then check it out!

So onto my last topic, my phase. I broke up with my steady boyfriend NHC recently and thankfully he didn't get mad so we broke up on good terms. I felt like our relationship had run its course, we just weren't as into each other as we were before. So now I am single again for the first time in over a year. I'm actually really happy, though. Strange, huh? I'm pretty much just going through my life completely crush-less and not too eager to change that fact. I feel very free and it's nice to live life without the complications of a relationship... for a little while! I'm not permanently swearing off dating like SOME people I know, but I'm not ready to throw myself back out there just yet, either. So I call it my phase : ) I'll let you know when it ends.

~Right now I'm reading Catching Fire the sequel to the fantastic book The Hunger Games! ^_^

0 comments: