CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Gattaca, The Lake House, and My Busy Week

I've watched two movies recently, I'll be reviewing Gattaca and then The Lake House.

I liked Gattaca, but it's quite sci-fi. If you're one of those people that can't get into science fiction, then I don't recommend this movie. However, if you're interested in science/genetics, then WATCH GATTACA!

The acting was pretty good in my opinion, and the story was fascinating. The movie was made in 1997, and I'd already seen it once before, but I liked it so much that I watched it again : P I'm lying, they made us watch it in class last week, but I still enjoyed it a second time!!

The main character, Vincent Freeman, is a natural born person. See, in his future time, all parents ask geneticists to make their children genetically perfect. These super people are the upper class of their futuristic society, and the natural born people like Vincent are only allowed simple and boring jobs like being a janitor.

Being a janitor isn't good enough for Vincent, though. He wants to travel into space, specifically through the space station/research center called Gattaca. He teams up with a genetically perfect man, Jerome Marrow, who is paralyzed from the waist down. Jerome, who's paralyzation lost him his dream of being a top swimmer, decides to help Vincent achieve his dream of going into space. Using blood, urine, and hair samples from Jerome, Vincent successfully fools Gattaca by pretending to be Jerome. Soon, he'll be in outer space, following his dream.

Unfortunately, a murder is committed in Gattaca before Vincent's launch into space. This delay brings swarms of investigators into Gattaca, and soon Vincent is suspected of being an "invalid" (naturally born) man. Will Vincent and Jerome keep their ruse up long enough for Vincent to reach his dreams of space travel? Or will Vincent be convicted for a murder that he didn't commit, just because he's an "invalid"?

My mother wanted me to watch this movie. Basically, the two main characters fall in love as they write letters to each other because she sold him this lake house (which led to them getting to know each other through these letters). They live in the same area, but they have to write letters because she lives in the year 2006 and he lives in the year 2004. Odd, huh? I thought it was.

The movie held my interest, the acting was good, and I liked the ending. Overall, I don't have much to say about it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. *Shrug* If I was really pressed, I guess I'd lean more towards the "I liked it okay" end of the spectrum. There are better movies out there to watch, though (like Gattaca).

So, I've had quite the busy week. There hasn't been a single day after school so far that I haven't had something going on! Between my volleyball practice and then game, chorus rehearsal then chorus concert, and book club I've had a lot to occupy my time. I love to stay busy (idleness is the devil's playground), but this week was just go, go, go from the start. The weekend is pleasantly calm (so far).

In my speech class, we've had to tell scary story speeches as our latest speech topic. I thought mine went well considering that my audience seemed to be paying attention, I got a lot of applause at the end, and my teacher even complimented me before I left class that day. Sorry, I'm a bit smug about that speech 'cause I was worried that I wouldn't remember certain parts of it but it worked out well in the end. Anyway, I enjoyed listening to my classmates' stories, but some of them REALLY freaked me out! *Shudder* I won't be watching any horror movies for a while, I can tell you that! I've had my fair share of frightening stories for now.

I saw Synfan for the first time in about six months or so. She came to my chorus concert (which went well) and we've been catching up over the phone. It was great to see her, I really wish that she would come back to my school! *Sob* I've actually been talking to several people over the phone today, but I managed to take a nice long bike ride around my neighborhood, too : ) It was a beautiful day outside, and the combination of sunlight, green leaves, and lovely flowers was incredibly relaxing. I hope the weather stays like this, it's been too cold for too long...

I have a biology study group tomorrow at the library, which I'm actually (being nerdy to the core) kind of excited about. That's mostly because Bubbles and Merrickle will be there, though, not just because of biology. We always end up having fun when we hang out, no matter what our topic for meeting is.

Oh, and I have so many good books to read that I'm doing something that I almost NEVER do: I'm reading more than one book at once! *Cue Loud Chorus of Gasps* I know, it's very exciting stuff : P Seriously, though, I typically pick one book to focus on at a time, but I have so many amazing books at the moment that I can't choose just one! It'll be interesting to see which one I finish first, and which one I like the best.

~I'm thinking of changing my blog template again, should I stay green or choose a different color?

0 comments: